Dentistry is like most clinical specialties, its evolving rapidly. Here is just a few of the emerging technologies that just weren’t around in Grandads day that are creating systemic health improvements in ordinary folks lives…
1. VELscope—a special type of light that a dentist will shine in a patient’s mouth to detect any abnormalities. This new form of technology is effectively used to detect early forms of cancer or disease during an oral cancer screening.
2. Digital X-Rays—Digital X-rays, less radiation and less of the wobble and shake thumping great X-ray machines that still persist in the dustier dental clinics. When a patient has a digital X-ray done, the image appears on the computer almost instantly. The benefits for Root Canal Treatments and for avoiding nerve damage in extractions are self explanatory.
3. Invisalign—Invisalign are clear, practically invisible braces that can gently straighten your teeth. Easy to fit easy to clean (easy to go wrong, ahem..) but overall a great advance.
4. Laser Dentistry—Lasers improve efficiency and eliminate discomfort in a number dental procedures, including restorations, excising tumors, and even cosmetic whitening.
5. Dental Implants—Dental implants – not new but the range and quality of implants these days is bewildering. Its practically a new branch of prosthetics.
6. HealOzone—and other such trade names describe a rapid and painless way to eliminate tooth decay. Not without controversy but still these products appear effective because they contain ozone which is a common, natural gas that effectively kills bacteria and fungus.
7. DIAGNOdent— and other trade equivalents are new, device used to detect cavities that are hiding in distal areas that frankly evade detection. It ensures thorough checking for early signs of cavities.
8. Intraoral Camera—The intraoral camera is a tool that dentists use to gain precise and well-defined pictures of hard to see places within a patient’s mouth. Utterly disturbing for patients to see the level of damage that poor oral care creates first hand. No greater educative tool around.
9. Whitening – no matter how achieved, cosmetic tricks such as whitening require little preparation and produce obvious returns for a patient seeking appealing looks. In many cases this is being deployed now as part of a regimen of good periodontal health.
10. Anxiety specific treatment centers. No doubt about it, some patients require more care and specific training and facilities mean a huge part of the population can find dental care where once this was denied.